Unless you've been living under a rock, I'm sure you are well aware of the negative affects of sugar on our health.
Well, I'm here to tell you that just because sugar isn't good for ya, doesn’t mean you have to kiss your sweet tooth goodbye forever! (good news, right!?)
There's actually quite a huge difference between low quality sweeteners (ex. highly processed white sugar or artificial sweeteners) and high quality sweeteners.
The truth is highly processed, refined sugar can have devastating effects on your metabolism and contribute to all sorts of diseases. This is no joke...
● Sugar equals tons of calories with no essential nutrients. All it does is cause tooth decay by literally feeding harmful bacteria in your mouth!
● If you eat high quantities of refined, processed sugar but do no exercise you are at risk, for the fructose derived from an excess of sugar, to get lodged in your liver and cause non- alcoholic fatty liver disease.
● When you consume too much sugar, it can cause resistance to the hormone insulin, which can lead to diseases like metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes.
● An excess amount of sugar can have a devastating effect on your metabolism, which is now known to lead to cancer.
● Sugar is highly addictive because after ingestion it causes a huge release of dopamine in your brain.
● Sugar is a major contributor to heart disease, which is the number one killer in the world.
But what many people don’t realize is that there are healthier, alternative sweeteners out there that won’t damage your health as much and taste just as sweet, if not more!
So what are some of these high quality sweetener alternatives to processed sugar?
1. Stevia—a plant used by the Guarani people of South America for more than 1500 years:
Tastes about 300 times sweeter than table sugar
No impact on blood sugar and may reduce blood pressure
Make sure to buy only 100% whole leaf stevia... look for RebA
2. Xylitol—a sugar alcohol that is neither sugar nor alcohol but is actually an organic compound:
About the same sweetness as table sugar
Comes from a non-GMO plant source
No effect on blood sugars
3. Erythritol—also a sugar alcohol like Xylitol
About 70% as sweet as table sugar and tastes just like it
It is 100% Erythritol
Doesn’t spike blood sugar and is easily digested
4. Coconut palm sugar—from the sap of cut flower buds of the coconut palm:
Same sweetness as table sugar
Look for labels that say coconut sugar, coconut crystals or coconut palm sugar
Has a low glycemic index and contains some nutrients and fiber
5. Honey—bees, bees, bees...:
Slightly sweeter than table sugar
Buy raw, local and organic honey
Can help boost immune system and seasonal allergies and sooth sore throats
6. Lucuma powder—produced from this subtropical fruit native to South America:
Sweet, maple flavor
Make sure it is 100% lucuma powder
Can help boost immune system, no effect on blood sugar and contains nutrients
7. Maple syrup—made from the sap of sugar, red or black maple trees:
About 3 times sweeter than table sugar
Buy organic pure grade B maple syrup
Lower fructose content than table sugar but don’t be fooled it’s still sugar
8. Monk fruit (lo han gou)—made from a green melon that grows in the mountaintops of Asia:
About 200 or 300 times sweeter than table sugar
Buy pure monk fruit or pure lo han gou sweetener
Non caloric, no impact on blood sugar and may be anti-inflammatory
How can I use one of these alternative sweeteners in my cooking?
Here’s an awesome, healthy and sweet recipe for Candied Walnuts to get you started:
Prep time: 5 mins;
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped or whole 1 tsp cinnamon
2 T coconut oil
1 T honey salt to taste
In a medium hot frying pan, add coconut oil, walnuts, salt and cinnamon. Cook until toasted, about 10 min. In the last couple minutes, add the honey for a sweeter taste.
Sometimes I'll eat these with some raw cacao nibs and its the perfect little cure for sugar craving!
What to do now?
If you’re unhappily addicted to processed sugar and want to make a change that will greatly benefit your health, then click here now to schedule a time to talk with me about the next steps you can take. I am here to help you make a plan to reduce or eliminate processed sugar in your diet and substitute with alternative sweeteners that will completely change your life!